In this tutorial, we will look at how to remove the first n characters from a string in Python with the help of some examples.
How to remove the first n characters?
Python strings are immutable which means that they cannot be modified. However, you can create a copy of the string with the first n characters removed and assign it to the original string variable.
To remove the first n characters from a string, slice the string from the nth index to the end of the string. Note that characters in a string are indexed starting from zero, so slicing the string from the nth index to the end would remove the first n characters of the string. The following is the syntax –
# remove first n characters from a string s = s[n:]
It returns a copy of the original string with the first n characters removed.
Let’s look at some examples -.
Remove the first 2 characters from a string
In this case n = 2, hence we slice the string from index 2 to the end of the string.
# create a string s = "Hufflepuff" # remove first 2 characcters print(s[2:])
You can see that the resulting string does not have the first two characters from the original string.
- Harvard University Data Science: Learn R Basics for Data Science
- Standford University Data Science: Introduction to Machine Learning
- UC Davis Data Science: Learn SQL Basics for Data Science
- IBM Data Science: Professional Certificate in Data Science
- IBM Data Analysis: Professional Certificate in Data Analytics
- Google Data Analysis: Professional Certificate in Data Analytics
- IBM Data Science: Professional Certificate in Python Data Science
- IBM Data Engineering Fundamentals: Python Basics for Data Science
- Harvard University Learning Python for Data Science: Introduction to Data Science with Python
- Harvard University Computer Science Courses: Using Python for Research
- IBM Python Data Science: Visualizing Data with Python
- DeepLearning.AI Data Science and Machine Learning: Deep Learning Specialization
- UC San Diego Data Science: Python for Data Science
- UC San Diego Data Science: Probability and Statistics in Data Science using Python
- Google Data Analysis: Professional Certificate in Advanced Data Analytics
- MIT Statistics and Data Science: Machine Learning with Python - from Linear Models to Deep Learning
- MIT Statistics and Data Science: MicroMasters® Program in Statistics and Data Science
🔎 Find Data Science Programs 👨💻 111,889 already enrolled
Disclaimer: Data Science Parichay is reader supported. When you purchase a course through a link on this site, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Earned commissions help support this website and its team of writers.
Remove the first 3 characters from a string
We can similarly use the above syntax to remove the first three characters from a string.
# create a string s = "Hufflepuff" # remove first 3 characcters print(s[3:])
The resulting string has the first three characters removed.
You might also be interested in –