In this tutorial, we will look at how to get the maximum and the minimum value in a Python deque with the help of some examples.
deque in Python
collections module in Python comes with a
deque class that you can use to implement a stack or queue data structure in Python. Deques support thread-safe, memory efficient appends and pops from either side of the deque with approximately the same O(1) performance in either direction.
📚 Discover Online Data Science Courses & Programs (Enroll for Free)
- Harvard University Data Science: Learn R Basics for Data Science
- Standford University Data Science: Introduction to Machine Learning
- UC Davis Data Science: Learn SQL Basics for Data Science
- IBM Data Science: Professional Certificate in Data Science
- IBM Data Analysis: Professional Certificate in Data Analytics
- Google Data Analysis: Professional Certificate in Data Analytics
- IBM Data Science: Professional Certificate in Python Data Science
- IBM Data Engineering Fundamentals: Python Basics for Data Science
- Harvard University Learning Python for Data Science: Introduction to Data Science with Python
- Harvard University Computer Science Courses: Using Python for Research
- IBM Python Data Science: Visualizing Data with Python
- DeepLearning.AI Data Science and Machine Learning: Deep Learning Specialization
- UC San Diego Data Science: Python for Data Science
- UC San Diego Data Science: Probability and Statistics in Data Science using Python
- Google Data Analysis: Professional Certificate in Advanced Data Analytics
- MIT Statistics and Data Science: Machine Learning with Python - from Linear Models to Deep Learning
- MIT Statistics and Data Science: MicroMasters® Program in Statistics and Data Science
🔎 Find Data Science Programs 👨💻 111,889 already enrolled
Disclaimer: Data Science Parichay is reader supported. When you purchase a course through a link on this site, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Earned commissions help support this website and its team of writers.
In simple terms, you can think of a
deque in Python as a list-like data structure but with efficient insertion and removal of items from either end (left and right). This makes them very useful when implementing a stack or queue functionality in Python.
How to get the max and the min value in a deque in Python?
Deques in Python make it very easy to add and remove elements from either end (in approximately O(1) time complexity) but getting the maximum or the minimum value in a deque takes O(N) (assuming you’re using linear search).
You can use the Python built-in
max() function to get the maximum value and the built-in
min() function to get the minimum value in a deque.
The following is the syntax –
# get the max value in the deque, "queue" max(queue) # get the min value in the deque, "queue" min(queue)
This is similar to how you’d get the max and min values in other iterables (like list, tuple, etc.) in Python.
Let’s now look at some examples of using the above syntax.
First, let’s create a deque with some elements.
from collections import deque # create a deque queue = deque([5, 2, 7, 3, 1, 3]) # print the deque print(queue)
deque([5, 2, 7, 3, 1, 3])
Here, we imported the
deque class from the
collections module and created a deque object,
queue with some numbers.
Example 1 – Get the maximum value in a deque
Pass the deque to the Python built-in
Let’s get the max value in the deque created above.
# get the max value in the deque print(max(queue))
We get the maximum value in the deque,
Example 2 – Get the minimum value in a deque
Pass the deque to the Python built-in
Let’s get the min value in the same deque used in the example above.
# get the min value in the deque print(min(queue))
We get the minimum value in the deque,
You might also be interested in –
- Python – Convert a deque of strings to a single string
- Python – Convert a deque to a list
- Python – Get the Index of the Maximum Value in Deque
- Python – Get the Index of the Minimum Value in Deque
- Python – Check If a Deque is Empty
- Python – Get Value by Index in Deque
- Python – Count occurrences of a value in deque
- Python – Create a deque copy
- Python – Rotate a Deque to the Right and Left
- Python – Extend deque to the left
- Python – Extend deque to the right
- Python – Get the Max Size of a Deque
- Python – Reverse a deque
- Python – Get Index of a Value in Deque
- Python – Remove Element by Value in Deque
- Python – Remove all elements from a deque (clear deque)
- Python – Append Element to a Deque
- Python – Append Element to the Left in Deque
- Python – Pop Element From Left in Deque
- Python – Pop Element From the End in Deque
- Python – Insert Element at a given Index in Deque
Subscribe to our newsletter for more informative guides and tutorials.
We do not spam and you can opt out any time.