In this tutorial, we will look at how to get the max size of a deque in Python with the help of some examples.
deque in Python
collections module in Python comes with a
deque class that you can use to implement a stack or queue data structure in Python. Deques support thread-safe, memory efficient appends and pops from either side of the deque with approximately the same O(1) performance in either direction.
In simple terms, you can think of a
deque in Python as a list-like data structure but with efficient insertion and removal of items from either end (left and right). This makes them very useful when implementing a stack or queue functionality in Python.
How to get the max size of a deque in Python?
deque class comes with a number of built-in functions to help perform common operations (like adding and removing elements).
The max size of a deque is defined only for bounded deques (deques with a size limit). To get the max size of a deque in Python, use the deque
maxlen attribute. The following is the syntax –
# get the max size of deque queue.maxlen
maxlen attribute of a deque is set during its creation. By default, it’s set to
None (which indicates an unbounded deque) unless specified otherwise (in which case, the deque will be a bounded deque).
Let’s now look at some examples of using the above syntax –
Example 1 – Max size of an unbounded deque
First, let’s create an unbounded deque (deque without a set
maxlen) with some elements.
- Harvard University Data Science: Learn R Basics for Data Science
- Standford University Data Science: Introduction to Machine Learning
- UC Davis Data Science: Learn SQL Basics for Data Science
- IBM Data Science: Professional Certificate in Data Science
- IBM Data Analysis: Professional Certificate in Data Analytics
- Google Data Analysis: Professional Certificate in Data Analytics
- IBM Data Science: Professional Certificate in Python Data Science
- IBM Data Engineering Fundamentals: Python Basics for Data Science
- Harvard University Learning Python for Data Science: Introduction to Data Science with Python
- Harvard University Computer Science Courses: Using Python for Research
- IBM Python Data Science: Visualizing Data with Python
- DeepLearning.AI Data Science and Machine Learning: Deep Learning Specialization
- UC San Diego Data Science: Python for Data Science
- UC San Diego Data Science: Probability and Statistics in Data Science using Python
- Google Data Analysis: Professional Certificate in Advanced Data Analytics
- MIT Statistics and Data Science: Machine Learning with Python - from Linear Models to Deep Learning
- MIT Statistics and Data Science: MicroMasters® Program in Statistics and Data Science
🔎 Find Data Science Programs 👨💻 111,889 already enrolled
Disclaimer: Data Science Parichay is reader supported. When you purchase a course through a link on this site, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Earned commissions help support this website and its team of writers.
from collections import deque # create a deque queue = deque([1, 2, 3]) # print the deque print(queue)
deque([1, 2, 3])
Here, we imported the
deque class from the
collections module and created a deque object,
queue with three elements – 1, 2, and 3.
Now, let’s now get its max size using its
# get the max size of deque print(queue.maxlen)
We get the max size of deque as
None because the deque under consideration is an unbounded deque. The value of the
maxlen attribute is
None for unbounded deques.
Example 2 – Max size of a bounded deque
Let’s now create a bounded deque (deque object with a specified
maxlen which defines the maximum number of values that it can store).
# create a bounded deque queue = deque([1, 2, 3], maxlen=4) # print the deque print(queue)
deque([1, 2, 3], maxlen=4)
Here, we created a bounded deque with
maxlen 4 and three elements inside it. Now, let’s get its max size using its
# get the max size of deque print(queue.maxlen)
We get the deque’s max size as 4.
Length vs the max length of a deque
It’s important to not confuse the
maxlen (the max size) of deque with its length (which you can get using the Python built-in
The length of a deque is the number of elements in a deque. Both bounded and unbounded deques have a length. The
maxlen (the max size) of a deque, on the other hand, is defined only for bounded deques and represents the maximum number of values the deque can have.
You might also be interested in –
- Python – Convert a deque of strings to a single string
- Python – Convert a deque to a list
- Python – Get the Index of the Maximum Value in Deque
- Python – Get the Index of the Minimum Value in Deque
- Python – Get the Maximum and the Minimum Value in a Deque
- Python – Check If a Deque is Empty
- Python – Get Value by Index in Deque
- Python – Count occurrences of a value in deque
- Python – Create a deque copy
- Python – Rotate a Deque to the Right and Left
- Python – Extend deque to the left
- Python – Extend deque to the right
- Python – Reverse a deque
- Python – Get Index of a Value in Deque
- Python – Remove Element by Value in Deque
- Python – Remove all elements from a deque (clear deque)
- Python – Append Element to a Deque
- Python – Append Element to the Left in Deque
- Python – Pop Element From Left in Deque
- Python – Pop Element From the End in Deque
- Python – Insert Element at a given Index in Deque
Subscribe to our newsletter for more informative guides and tutorials.
We do not spam and you can opt out any time.